ETX To Do List
Make Sure East Texas Makes Your Bucket List
• Walk among well-preserved buildings in Jefferson, Texas and take a carriage ride and explore the history of this old riverport city.
• Catch bass at Lake Fork near Quitman. More than half of Texas’ Top 50 largest bass were caught there.
• Go to prison. See “Old Sparky” at the Texas Prison Museum in Huntsville.
• Tour Caddo Mounds State Historic Site near Alto and learn about the cultures who once lived there.
• Spend time in beauty at the Stephen F. Austin State University gardens in Nacogdoches, which include the Mast Arboretum, Ruby M. Mizze Azalea Garden and Pineywoods Native Plant Center.
• Stand in two states at the same time in Texarkana. A marker at the courthouse along State Line Avenue shows where people can stand with one foot in Texas and one Arkansas.
• Discover oil. While you can’t drill here, you can stand in Kilgore’s World’s Richest Acre Park where one original derrick and 36 replicas mark what was oncee the greatest concentration of oil wells in the world.
• Take a ghost tour in Jefferson, Texas and keep any eye out for the “lady in white”.
• Stay in an East Texas cabin in the woods. The cabins at Daingerfield State Park are nestled among the trees with views of pines, sweetgum, oak, dogwoods, redbuds and wisteria.
• Ride the historic Texas State Railroad between Palestine and Rusk.